Tuesday, December 09, 2008

The Politically Correct Woodpecker

Lucy was sleeping, Clara and I were playing in the family room when I heard a knock, knock, knock. Clara went running to the front door, and I followed but, there was no one there.

"Gee Clara, we've been ...." but I realized that what had just happened to us should not be said.

When I was a child, we played a game... we would run up to a door, knock on it, and run away. We called it, "N" knocking.

We didn't mean it as a bad word, we didn't mean it as a slam to a persons skin color, it was just what the game was called. We were innocent, and clueless.

I can think of several phrases I grew up with that were not so nice. Such as, I grew up thinking that the "J" word meant "to negotiate". I had NO CLUE that it was a slam on a persons nationality. I never connected the two together. The English language has so many words that sounds like something else, but have no relation to each other. I was so humiliated the first time I used the word in front of my Jewish roommate. Her response was, "ouch." I felt like a total loser. In my defense, would I really have used that in front of her if I understood what I was saying?

So, as Clara and I stood at the door, and I couldn't find the words for what had happened, I became really sad.



  • Sad that I grew up in a world where derogatory words were the norm.

  • Sad that my family still uses some of these words and refuses to acknowledge that they are hurtful.

  • Sad that I have no idea what to call this game now for my children.
On a happier note, turns out that our mystery knocker (maybe this is a good name for the game?) is our friendly neighborhood woodpecker. He usually hangs out on the upstairs window trim, but today he decided to knock at our fireplace. I guess Woody got the last laugh on us!

"ha ha ha haha, ha ha ha haha, hahahahaha"

2 comments:

Shelli said...

Good Post Toe, We call it ding-dong ditching. But check it out, there are so many others you can use:
Door ditching
Buzz Buzz Book It
Ring and Run
ding-dong dash
There is knicker-knocking, like knick-knock...
Anyhoo, I haven't heard a woodpecker for a LONG time! Are you sure it wasn't Santa?

Team Pettijohn said...

I can totally relate to that post, that happened to us the other day and the same word came to my head, and it was kids who had done it. (Woodpeckers have a hard time reaching the 7th floor. lol.) Your daughter are adorable. I love that our kids are the same age! Hopefully one day they can play together.